You’re probably noticing that my recipes have started to be a little healthier, except for this one, because I’ve been looking for workouts for moms with toddlers so I can slowly lose my baby weight. I want to find ways for busy moms to get in shape, but to do it in a way that doesn’t consist of me starving myself, seeking out the latest diet fads, or taking diet pills. I know that adjusting my diet can only get me so far. If I don’t have some type of exercises to do at home along with my diet adjustment, then I’ll hit a plateau really fast and will give up once I’m not losing weight.
Walking has never really helped me lose any weight and sometimes I can’t go for a run by myself or visit the gym. I’ve had to find creative ways to sneak in a little exercise throughout the day while I’m busy taking care of my babies, the house, running my blog, researching, and doing anything else that falls on my plate.
Here are some workouts for moms with toddlers or young kids, that I’ve been able to do. Sometimes it does consists of a full workout and sometimes it’s just a few minutes. But with the combination of my diet and these tips, I’ve been able to lose 15 pounds and keep it off within the last 6 weeks (yes, that included the holidays). Enjoy!
*As with any workout plan, please consult your doctor before beginning.
12 Creative Workouts for Moms with Toddlers
1. Before the kids wake up, do 3 sets of 10 pushups, sit-ups, squats, and 5 pound weight curls. It will only take you about 10-15 minutes to finish. The squats and curls can be done at the same time. If your kiddos wake up early sometimes (like mine tend to do), try to squeeze the sets in during naptime or right after they’re down for the night.
2. While helping the kids brush their teeth, do calf raises.
3. Dance with your babies every chance you get. They’ll enjoy it and you’ll be getting in a little cardio.
4. Toss those babies in the air. Yes, I toss my babies in the air (of course, I leave one hand on them at all times because I’m clumsy and have no sense of balance) and it’s a great arm workout.
5. If you’re watching tv, do jumping jacks every time a commercial comes on. Your babies may join in on the fun.
6. Park farther away from the door when going to the store. I do this all of the time, but I make sure I exercise precaution. Who has all day to drive around looking for a spot, anyways, when there are plenty of open spots in the back?
7. Throw them in the stroller and head out the door. Ok, don’t literally throw them into the stroller. Make sure they’re securely strapped in. Go for a walk or a light jog. I bring my 2 year old’s tricycle so when I’m finished a mile or so, I let him ride his bike back to the park so he can get some playtime in too. That’s two miles down right there!
8. Go outside and play! Yes, you have my permission to be a kid again. What’s stopping you from playing hide-and-seek or tag with your kids? Nothing! Get out there and move!
9. Do some hardcore housework! I hate to admit it, but doing housework does require some type of physical ability. Why not step it up a notch by power walking while you’re vacuuming or doing lunges when you’re carrying the laundry up stairs.
10. If you’re working from home and have your own office space, sit on a stability ball instead of an office chair. Do squats while returning emails in the morning.
11. Carry your babies up the stairs. What better way to build strength then to carry 10, 20, or 30 pounds up an incline? Your butt and thighs can thank me later!
12. Swing on the monkey bars! Admittedly, I haven’t tried this one yet, but it’s on my to-do list. While my babies are playing at the park, I plan on utilizing all of that free “gym” equipment. You know, monkey bars into pull-up bars and a slide is now a bench for inclined pushups. Of course, I won’t do it if there are other kids out there, but it’s definitely going to happen.
What are some ways you stay fit with your little ones? I’d love to hear your tips, so I can try them out!
Now that you’ve tried these workouts for moms with toddlers, here are 20+ Simple Ways to Treat Yourself Well when you get a little free time!